Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Take a Chance on Me.... Part II!!

Okay, okay, it took a little (lot) longer than I had expected, but the $25 china cabinet I bought at an auction this summer is finally my new jewelry armoire!

 Before: The cabinet with all the hardware and doors
off.

I really didn't need a new china cabinet, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to get a nice piece of furniture like this for only $25! As I said in the previous post the cabinet was pretty hideous.... well not 'that' bad, but just not my style. It is a 1980s style, fake leaded glass on the doors and everything.

I decided that since I actually had room for it in my bedroom that I would use it for jewelry and other storage.

The jewelry armoire I bought in 2001 was stuffed - and most of my stuff didn't even fit in it. Also, I'm a visual person, if the jewelry is 'put away' I forget about it and end up wearing the same thing over and over again. I wanted everything 'out' so I could see it (I know, just like a toddler!).


Old armoire - too small!!
I first removed the doors and all the hardware from the cabinet. Then, I lightly sanded it and wiped it down.
I don't go crazy with sanding, because I use Kilz as the primer - this stuff is amazing. For this project (since I worked on it in my bedroom) I used water based Kilz. However, if you can stand the smell the oil based Kilz is the best and will make the paint stick better and last longer. The water-based stuff also dries faster, so if you are working on a timeline that might be good to know.

The hutch with a coat of Kilz.



Make sure you use some type of rag and
wipe your piece down after you sand it.
(This is the sleeve from an old T-shirt
talk about upcycling!)If you are
spreading primer on a dirty surface
it won't stick as well.




The doors of the lower
cabinet with a
coat of primer. That door
in the center on the lower
cabinet is fake, it does notopen
- very frustrating.



Some of the hardware I
removed - only the hinges and magentic
catches went back on the finished
piece. I bought glass pulls
for the doors and glass
handles for the drawer.
Now I'm wondering what I can
make with those brass pieces..... !




Some of my 'tools' in a very handy caddy.
I am in need of some new 1 1/2 inch and 2
inch brushes - but I like to keep art brushes
in here too - they are very usefull for detail work.

 In the spirit of upcycling, I actually had some leftover enamel paint from one of the bathrooms that was the perfect color for this project. Also, on a furniture piece enamel is the best, it stands up to normal use much better than latex. After two coats of the Kilz I applied two coats of the enamel.

Here is the result!

I already had one of the glass handles and one of the pulls on-hand that I bought as a sample for another project I never completed, so I only had to buy a couple more to complete the piece.

My bangles are on upcycled wine bottles, an old hat stand and a toilet paper holder. Many of my earrings are hanging on the sides of jars and glasses – so I can see them all at one time! Other earrings are in jars and even a shot glass.

I know that having everything 'sitting out' isn't everyone's style, but it works for me. And, I just LOVE the color of the cabinet and the glass handles and pulls look so pretty!



I drilled pilot holes for
the cup hooks I used – made
twisting them into the wood
much easier on the hands.
I tried to space them so
that necklaces hanging
above were offset from
the ones below.


No comments:

Post a Comment